Skip to main content

It's a conscious style decision. ..

Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, oh Lord, my strength and my redeemer. Psalm 19:13-14

My devotional from Joyce Meyers on Sunday and again today re-emphasized something that I keep forgetting: the amazing creative power of the tongue. I've always said the above verse in church as part of the parting benediction/grace but it wasn't until today that the words truly hit me. We are made in God's image and just like Him, we have the ability to create things out of nothing through our tongues. Meditate on that for a minute.

It is still a mystery to me but as I've gotten older, I have realized that what we say and what we think matters.  As my driving teacher once told me, we drive towards what we see. I figure it must be the same for what we say and what we think. The words we say and think tend to be programmed into us and eventually become reality. I have seen this firsthand in many aspects of my life. I work in a busy practice and I've found that whatever I say about work that morning in my quiet time is what will manifest that day, without fail. I saw this throughout residency as well, I would declare before each call night that it would be a good night and sure enough it would be.

Likewise, what we consume mentally and what we see visually matters as well, Just like with our thoughts, what we see or read about or focus on intently will become programmed into our conscious or subconscious. God help me with this one.

There was a time that I would spend all my free time surfing the web, (ok, that time hasn't changed yet). Anyway, i was addicted to gossip sites until I saw that it was becoming a bit much and so i had to pull back. I replaced that addiction with fashion blogs, home decor blogs and television without pity. I visited these sites on a daily basis. As far as the home decor/fashion blogs went, I would download to my computer all the things that I really liked. Who knows what I was downloading to my subconscious mind when I would dilligently read all the sarcastic and hilarious comments about my favorite shows on television without pity?

Do you know that three years later I can see the manifestations of those images in my home? There are times when I go shopping at Ross/Target/Marshalls that I find myself strongly drawn to one object or the other. Later, when I go home and google that object, i find that three years ago or even three months ago, I had seen that same thing on one of my many web addictions. These occurrences emphasized again to me the importance of consciously watching what i take in through my eyes, and ears as well as what i put out through my mouth.

My prayer this week is that God will put a hot coal to my lips and purify the words coming from my mouth, as well as purify the secret thoughts of my heart. Amen in Jesus name.

And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Phillipians 4:8


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Week

I feel so accomplished this morning. My weekend was productive for once. I painted my chair and it is finally in my bedroom. The thing is, I underestimated the amount of paint I would need and went crazy with dilution. My first clue should have been that the original pattern was visible under the paint. I filed it down a bit with sandpaper which took off the color. Then, because I ran out of paint, I wasn't able to paint the seat and instead covered it with an old ankara skirt that I was planning to turn into pillows. I was very disappointed with the results, but it's now growing on me. I might leave the ankara like that or change it for another ankara I have. Lastly, I tried gluing the broken leg in place but alas, it didn't work. I guess I had better just buy a new leg for the chair. My next project is to figure out how to stick mirrors into an old painting. I also need to pick up my hall table from the office where it has been waiting for me all last week. I really wi

2013 already!

I can't believe my last post was in November. Despite my good intentions, December was a wasteland in terms of my writing and life goals. I moved to my new apartment, came down with the flu or rather an influenza like illness, and have just been so blah. The cold weather is not helping either. I really cannot stand the cold, it tends to sap my energy. As always, I have a few goals for the new year. I already feel all kinds of stressed because it is already Janaury 4th and I haven't made any moves. I did do one half hearted workout the other day but it was bitter cold. I could actually feel the cold going through my hoodie, my t-shirt, my skin, my bones and grabbing my heart and lungs and squeezing them to death.  I scurried back home and vowed to buy some winter gear. Total mileage 1.6 miles. Yeah pitiful. My goals this year are simple: 1. Get with God and just delight myself in Him. Ps 37:5. I want to be serious about my walk with God this year. I promised myself last

Writing Life

Last time I discussed my writing, I was moaning about how overwhelmed I felt about editing. Well, this past week I stopped whining and consulted my expert researcher Ms/Mr Google - s/he is an hermaphrodite- and discovered a nifty book called Self Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King. This book is so on fire that it impacted my writing before I even received it. How do I mean? Well, I read an excerpt of the first chapter online and realized what was wrong with my own first chapter right away. In a word -well several words- I was explaining too much and not letting the characters live. I was giving all kinds of background and history and what not. A whole lot of info that had me saying in my nephew's voice: "who cares?" I guess the avid reader in me knew the problem all along, but the writer in me resisted deleting a single word. I mean those words were agonized over and carefully chosen by committee. I was loathe to let even one of them go. But I