Am late to the game on this one. And unfortunately, I learned about this author due to her obituary (sigh) but I just finished her two novels this week and they were awesome. Her second one Feminista, much greater than her first. Who am I even talking about? A beautiful woman named Erica Kennedy
who wrote the novels Bling (2004) and Feminista (2010). Really great books, I could not put them down until I was done.
Last time I discussed my writing, I was moaning about how overwhelmed I felt about editing. Well, this past week I stopped whining and consulted my expert researcher Ms/Mr Google - s/he is an hermaphrodite- and discovered a nifty book called Self Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King. This book is so on fire that it impacted my writing before I even received it. How do I mean? Well, I read an excerpt of the first chapter online and realized what was wrong with my own first chapter right away. In a word -well several words- I was explaining too much and not letting the characters live. I was giving all kinds of background and history and what not. A whole lot of info that had me saying in my nephew's voice: "who cares?" I guess the avid reader in me knew the problem all along, but the writer in me resisted deleting a single word. I mean those words were agonized over and carefully chosen by committee. I was loathe to let even one of them go. But I ...
Comments