Skip to main content

Thrifting Adventures.

Well this week has been good for me thrifting wise.

I finally got a frame for my problem child. I was going to leap for an $8 one but I couldn't see myself paying that much, fortunately, it didn't seem like an easy frame to remove the picture from so I talked myself out of it. Then on a whim on Tuesday, I went back and I found the perfect frame for 4.99.

I spray painted it black last night to match the rest of my framed objects in the space but of course I got spray on the plexi glass. But thanks to Ms. Google, I found a solution to that, nail polish remover, unfortunately, it got a bit cloudy plus in my overzealousness i cracked the plexiglass. Sigh. At least it removed the spray pain from my fingers. Oops, was supposed to use non acetone. oh well. hehe. Next google search...
Go me, I remembered the before picture

Problem child.I have spent way too much on you! First it was the wood that wouldn't fit. The canvas was uneven, fortunately I had black poster board lying around from a previous framing project, so I used it as backing. It can match the black paint left over on the plexi glass. LOL.

I also found an ivory blazer for $3. Very eighties with shoulder pads and all which i promptly took out when I got home. I am going to see if i can wear it to a white themed party am going to for three hot seconds on Saturday night.


But the best best best of all was yesterday. So many Sundays ago, I went to my favorite Goodwill and found some cute stuff. I found this beat up dresser/cabinet?/buffet? with loads of potential for $60, really well made but just abused. I literally sat next to that thing for 20 minutes as I plotted how I would get it home. I only have a little convertible and this thing is a beast so I couldn't pop the top down and load it in like i've done in the past. So I sadly kept on going. I also saw some white chairs that I thought would be perfect for the space but it wasn't compelling enough for me to buy them at $40 bucks a pop.


Anyway, fast forward to yesterday. I kept dreaming about my dresser and finally I went after work to see if it was still there. It WAS. And it was reduced by 50%. I bought it on the spot! I felt it was a sign even though I still had no way of getting it home.The chairs had been sold, but they had just been sold because they were still sitting there.  I ended up renting a pick up truck from U-Haul and plan to pick it up today.

Let me go get ready for work, the funding source for my new addiction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Life

Last time I discussed my writing, I was moaning about how overwhelmed I felt about editing. Well, this past week I stopped whining and consulted my expert researcher Ms/Mr Google - s/he is an hermaphrodite- and discovered a nifty book called Self Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King. This book is so on fire that it impacted my writing before I even received it. How do I mean? Well, I read an excerpt of the first chapter online and realized what was wrong with my own first chapter right away. In a word -well several words- I was explaining too much and not letting the characters live. I was giving all kinds of background and history and what not. A whole lot of info that had me saying in my nephew's voice: "who cares?" I guess the avid reader in me knew the problem all along, but the writer in me resisted deleting a single word. I mean those words were agonized over and carefully chosen by committee. I was loathe to let even one of them go. But I ...

2013 already!

I can't believe my last post was in November. Despite my good intentions, December was a wasteland in terms of my writing and life goals. I moved to my new apartment, came down with the flu or rather an influenza like illness, and have just been so blah. The cold weather is not helping either. I really cannot stand the cold, it tends to sap my energy. As always, I have a few goals for the new year. I already feel all kinds of stressed because it is already Janaury 4th and I haven't made any moves. I did do one half hearted workout the other day but it was bitter cold. I could actually feel the cold going through my hoodie, my t-shirt, my skin, my bones and grabbing my heart and lungs and squeezing them to death.  I scurried back home and vowed to buy some winter gear. Total mileage 1.6 miles. Yeah pitiful. My goals this year are simple: 1. Get with God and just delight myself in Him. Ps 37:5. I want to be serious about my walk with God this year. I promised myself last ...

Ojo Monday

As I opened  blogger to write a post, the song ojo Monday jumped to my head. I mourned my unbacked up and crashed ibook immediately. I have so much music that I've lost. I haven't heard that song since 200something. I didn't even remember who did it which is a damn shame cos am a Fela stan. Anyway, rushed to Youtube to find it. They didn't have it, but there is a band called Ogun Afrobeat that did a pretty decent cover considering they don't even speak the language. Turned out it's called by its English name: Monday morning in Lagos: Anyway, all that to say it's Ojo Wednesday and I hope I survive. I worked out yesterday with my trainer. My arms are looking nice per him and me. Am still a bit weak though as in, I don't have much stamina for certain exercises. Anyway, time is already fast spent. I have to go for my jog and yet again I didn't edit my playlist. Why do i procrastinate so! PS. Turns out that I do have that song, must have bac...