Skip to main content

Conviction vs Condemnation-Sunday Meditation

Sorry I've been absent.

Had a few things on my mind lately, mainly a bout of recriminations and self accusations. For some reason, all my past mistakes were playing in HD in my head and I was seriously down on myself, searching myself, wondering if my response at the time was right. This mind of mine tends to remember the things that are long forgotten by others, while forgetting the things I need to survive the day to day.

But I digress.

I wondered if these thoughts were condemnation from the devil who is known to accuse the brethren over and over again of sins already forgiven and forgotten by the Lord God, or conviction from the Holy Spirit for me to search my heart and repent of my sins. I am still not clear. I keep hearing love covereth a multitude of sins, and I know that that is my weakness. I am too quick to write people off, too quick to anger, too slow to forgive. I've been hurt so much that I tend to over react sometimes to prevent myself from being taken advantage of, used and abused. Sometimes, I have to call my sisters to make sure my reaction is the right one because just like an overactive immune system, I tend to go on all out war instead of just a warning. Sigh. But I guess this is what happens when the core of a relationship is not love. If I had love, I would be able to forgive and forgive and forgive and forgive ad nauseaum right. But when does one draw the line?

I remember a sermon I heard preached 2 years ago at Jubilee Christian Center in Boston. God so wanted me to hear that word that I heard it twice from two totally different pastors. I mean different, the first church was an all american modern church (Jubilee), and the second church was an all nigerian traditional church (CAC). So I paid close attention.

The pastor at Jubilee spoke of a new law, a gospel law of love and trust. God's love for us, and our trust in Him. He listed several costs, if you will, of this law.
To rethink: Be totally honest about who we are and what we do.
To repent: Be willing to lose any habit/plan/friend
To renounce: give up all rights to our lives, dying to ego and what people see us as.
To replan: be prepared to make changes, make amends and let go of those who have wronged us
To receive: Jesus Christ by faith, knowing that we do not have to do anything to earn God's favor.

I have been stuck on cost #1 all week, thanks to this sermon on envy by Pastor Rick Warren. I never saw myself as an envious person or a covetous person. But that sermon made me hold a mirror to myself and I wasn't happy with what I saw. I have a lot of work to do, all these years of being born again, I thought I would have got it by now.  But as long as I hold on to my "rights" and "fairness" I guess I will continue to be stuck in the rut  of grudge bearing and anger. As long as I keep focusing on people's opinions of me and what I do, I guess I will continue to be stuck in discontent, insecurity and grass is greener syndrome. So much food for thought. God help me.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Week

I feel so accomplished this morning. My weekend was productive for once. I painted my chair and it is finally in my bedroom. The thing is, I underestimated the amount of paint I would need and went crazy with dilution. My first clue should have been that the original pattern was visible under the paint. I filed it down a bit with sandpaper which took off the color. Then, because I ran out of paint, I wasn't able to paint the seat and instead covered it with an old ankara skirt that I was planning to turn into pillows. I was very disappointed with the results, but it's now growing on me. I might leave the ankara like that or change it for another ankara I have. Lastly, I tried gluing the broken leg in place but alas, it didn't work. I guess I had better just buy a new leg for the chair. My next project is to figure out how to stick mirrors into an old painting. I also need to pick up my hall table from the office where it has been waiting for me all last week. I really wi

2013 already!

I can't believe my last post was in November. Despite my good intentions, December was a wasteland in terms of my writing and life goals. I moved to my new apartment, came down with the flu or rather an influenza like illness, and have just been so blah. The cold weather is not helping either. I really cannot stand the cold, it tends to sap my energy. As always, I have a few goals for the new year. I already feel all kinds of stressed because it is already Janaury 4th and I haven't made any moves. I did do one half hearted workout the other day but it was bitter cold. I could actually feel the cold going through my hoodie, my t-shirt, my skin, my bones and grabbing my heart and lungs and squeezing them to death.  I scurried back home and vowed to buy some winter gear. Total mileage 1.6 miles. Yeah pitiful. My goals this year are simple: 1. Get with God and just delight myself in Him. Ps 37:5. I want to be serious about my walk with God this year. I promised myself last

Writing Life

Last time I discussed my writing, I was moaning about how overwhelmed I felt about editing. Well, this past week I stopped whining and consulted my expert researcher Ms/Mr Google - s/he is an hermaphrodite- and discovered a nifty book called Self Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King. This book is so on fire that it impacted my writing before I even received it. How do I mean? Well, I read an excerpt of the first chapter online and realized what was wrong with my own first chapter right away. In a word -well several words- I was explaining too much and not letting the characters live. I was giving all kinds of background and history and what not. A whole lot of info that had me saying in my nephew's voice: "who cares?" I guess the avid reader in me knew the problem all along, but the writer in me resisted deleting a single word. I mean those words were agonized over and carefully chosen by committee. I was loathe to let even one of them go. But I