Skip to main content

Lazy Sunday

Today, I decided to hide out in my bed and do nothing. No church, no rushing here, no grocery shopping, no popping into Target, just lying in bed, browsing the internet for design inspiration and reading my novel that I bought for 50 cents at Big Lots. Yes. Fiddy cents. Not happy for the author but happy for me!

But before I go back to my book, I will leave you with pictures of my now complete dining area and living room.
Before.


My goodness. It took forever for me to get these pictures, and I am still not satisfied. They look a bit muddy. But here they are.

Living Room
Do you see that the bowl from the foyer post is now empty? I don't know what it is, but every time I take a picture of a plant, they die. The gerbera just rotted on me. I wasn't over watering, I promise. I only watered when the soil was begging for water. I tire o.

Bookshelf
I got this bookshelf from West Elm in Miami. The apartment I had moved into gave me a $1000 giftcard as a bonus for renting. Knowing what I know now, I would have used that card a bit more wisely.

Top
The photo to the right is of my mom holding me, the center photo is of my mom holding my nephew. My father took both pictures. The second one is one he took to test out his new digital camera way back in 2004, he printed it out on his laser printer on plain paper. I rescued it and have been carrying it all over the country, from Worcester, to Miami and now here. The third picture is actually a Christmas card, I bought them while in medical school from Marshall's or TJ Maxx. I can't recall. I was planning to give them out but didn't until this year when I sent out three. Lol. I procrastinate! Vase thrifted of course. The orange from the
shelf and the blue is something I tried to replicate throughout the apartment. 

Framed Ankara
I had too many frames. So I cut a piece of cloth and framed it. 

The chair was from Kirkland in Aventura, it was actually bought for my desk. I spent many hours in that chair studying for my boards.  I had always passed by the Kirkland's but had been too scared to go in because I thought it was a high end furniture store. LOL. Yes. I thought so. Anyway, one day, I was walking by and saw the chair on the sidewalk on clearance, after calculating I realized it would be $35. I had been looking for a chair for my desk and the price was so right. I walked in and the cashier hooked me up. She was so sweet and told me of the promotion they were running and gave me discount upon discount. I also got three framed bible verse prints. You will see them later. 

Ottoman

Please plant don't die on me!! I found the mirrored tray at Goodwill, it's originally from Target and am sure it was overpriced at $5.99 but I loved it and brought it home and spray painted it white. I have shown the plant holder before, I bought it from Savers when I first moved down here. The vase in the middle holding the remotes, I bought from Goodwill for 1.99. I had planned to use it in the guest room but it was too small. The woven container is from Nigeria. It actually has a name which I am blanking on at the moment. It is designed to hold jewelry. I use it to hold the earrings I pull off when I'm sitting on the couch. My mom brought me several in various sizes. Again, I had seen them in the market, and thought them too small. Then I saw something similar in West Elm. Much bigger of course, and hundred times more expensive and I screamed. I should have taken a close up huh? Yes, that book was 50cents too.

Dining Area

All the frames were thrifted. They were of varying colors and I spray painted them black. The furniture is from Target. This was certainly a case of delayed gratification. I didn't want to spend too much on them because well.. Anyway, I had to wait until I had the money, then I had to wait for them to go on sale. There is a cycle to their sale. I know cos I watched for 4 months. Then, when it finally went on sale, the chairs were not free shipping. I ran to Target to get the debit card so I could get free shipping but alas I couldn't buy online with the temporary card so I had to wait another month for the chairs to go on sale again to the price I wanted to pay. Yeah, I've become a bargain hunter. I'm telling you, the damage I could have done with $1000 at west elm, knowing what  I know now. But I digress.

The rug I bought in Miami as well. There is this "antique" shop in the area where my first apartment was. As usual, I was terrified to go in. I equate antique with crazy mad expensive. But it was mad cool. I spent many hours in there talking to the salesman. He even gave me a figurine (which I later donated, couldn't stand the smell). We bargained and chatted and whatnot. I even got offered a job. The owner of the store, also owned a pediatric clinic right below it. I was just a first year at the time, plus umm I didn't really trust that clinic. 

Be that as it may. I still think I overpaid for what I got. This rug is not an antique. I think it was even made in Georgia recently. LOL. But the experience was worth it now that I think back on it. I think he was going to charge me $100 but by the time I bought two other items he may have reduced it a bit more. 

Wait, let me a shed a tear. I miss Miami. 


Centerpiece
Another thrifted find, on Easter Sunday no less. My original plan was to put a plant in water but it died. I'm telling you, I am a brown thumb out here. One time, I pinched, just like I pinched the plant that died, a leaf from some foliage. I had that leaf in water for almost 2 years, it grew very slowly but it didn't die! I had to leave it behind when I moved down here. Maybe the water is killing the plants. Maybe I need to use bottled water. I am really perplexed here.

Anyway, I settled for pine cones that I found during my morning runs. The tea light holders are from ikea from way back who knows. 

Adwa!
I had to showcase this. I have a thing for posters. I saw this poster in 1999 and I took it, and I have had it ever since. I love Haile Gerima. He also did Sankofa. I need to own that. I should get on it. 

And there you have it. 

I bought the sectional in Miami as well. Am not too fond of it anymore, but I am not buying anything until I own a house. The TV stand is from K-Mart. Yes K-Mart. I bought it in Miami too. It fit perfectly with my decor at the time and it was $40. Yes, pricey for me now, but a bargain then considering the options I had then. 

Any questions, please feel free to ask. I really need to figure out this camera soon because I have more pictures to take.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Week

I feel so accomplished this morning. My weekend was productive for once. I painted my chair and it is finally in my bedroom. The thing is, I underestimated the amount of paint I would need and went crazy with dilution. My first clue should have been that the original pattern was visible under the paint. I filed it down a bit with sandpaper which took off the color. Then, because I ran out of paint, I wasn't able to paint the seat and instead covered it with an old ankara skirt that I was planning to turn into pillows. I was very disappointed with the results, but it's now growing on me. I might leave the ankara like that or change it for another ankara I have. Lastly, I tried gluing the broken leg in place but alas, it didn't work. I guess I had better just buy a new leg for the chair. My next project is to figure out how to stick mirrors into an old painting. I also need to pick up my hall table from the office where it has been waiting for me all last week. I really wi

2013 already!

I can't believe my last post was in November. Despite my good intentions, December was a wasteland in terms of my writing and life goals. I moved to my new apartment, came down with the flu or rather an influenza like illness, and have just been so blah. The cold weather is not helping either. I really cannot stand the cold, it tends to sap my energy. As always, I have a few goals for the new year. I already feel all kinds of stressed because it is already Janaury 4th and I haven't made any moves. I did do one half hearted workout the other day but it was bitter cold. I could actually feel the cold going through my hoodie, my t-shirt, my skin, my bones and grabbing my heart and lungs and squeezing them to death.  I scurried back home and vowed to buy some winter gear. Total mileage 1.6 miles. Yeah pitiful. My goals this year are simple: 1. Get with God and just delight myself in Him. Ps 37:5. I want to be serious about my walk with God this year. I promised myself last

Writing Life

Last time I discussed my writing, I was moaning about how overwhelmed I felt about editing. Well, this past week I stopped whining and consulted my expert researcher Ms/Mr Google - s/he is an hermaphrodite- and discovered a nifty book called Self Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King. This book is so on fire that it impacted my writing before I even received it. How do I mean? Well, I read an excerpt of the first chapter online and realized what was wrong with my own first chapter right away. In a word -well several words- I was explaining too much and not letting the characters live. I was giving all kinds of background and history and what not. A whole lot of info that had me saying in my nephew's voice: "who cares?" I guess the avid reader in me knew the problem all along, but the writer in me resisted deleting a single word. I mean those words were agonized over and carefully chosen by committee. I was loathe to let even one of them go. But I