I am absolutely convinced that I am coming down with something. My throat continues to be on fire, and now I have a bit of congestion. Argh. I could barely get out of bed this morning. I set my alarm to 5 and snoozed all the way to 7am. I must be tired. I am even yawning as I write this. In fact, I think I will take my happy self to bed very early tonight, and start everything I have planned on Tuesday.
Last time I discussed my writing, I was moaning about how overwhelmed I felt about editing. Well, this past week I stopped whining and consulted my expert researcher Ms/Mr Google - s/he is an hermaphrodite- and discovered a nifty book called Self Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King. This book is so on fire that it impacted my writing before I even received it. How do I mean? Well, I read an excerpt of the first chapter online and realized what was wrong with my own first chapter right away. In a word -well several words- I was explaining too much and not letting the characters live. I was giving all kinds of background and history and what not. A whole lot of info that had me saying in my nephew's voice: "who cares?" I guess the avid reader in me knew the problem all along, but the writer in me resisted deleting a single word. I mean those words were agonized over and carefully chosen by committee. I was loathe to let even one of them go. But I ...
Comments