Skip to main content

This or that?

So I finally committed to the lampshade I bought for my Goodwill lamp.

It was a basic white rectangle shade from Target. I couldn't get anything longer because they didn't have any, plus and actually most important, I didn't want to buy a shade that cost more than the lamp. But that's exactly what ended up happening. Note to self, do not buy a lamp without a shade.

At first, I hated it because you could see the metal part peeking out from under the lampshade. Dang, I forgot the before picture. But after I painted it black and covered it in gold duct tape, i think i might like it. 


The question now is, just cover the top in gold or cover both top and bottom. Please consider Exhibit A and Exhibit B if you will. 


before, before. 


Exhibit A


Exhibit B


Breakdown. 
Lamp base. $14.99 from Goodwill.
Lamp shade: $14.99 from Target
Black fabric paint: $0.67 Hobby Lobby
Gold duct tape: $3.37 Walmart.


I made my first pillow. I had some leftover fabric, or maybe it was a headtie for one of my gowns. I had an old comforter that I was going to throw away, I took it apart and used the stuffing for the pillow. My only regret is that I should have made it a tad bit taller.

Tiny bolster pillow. 
It was fun though. Haven't sewn by hand since I was a little girl making clothes for my doll, Sunbo. It was a blue plastic doll with no moveable parts, but I loved her. Anyone know of it?

Now to clean the dust off this other lamp I found. The shade is stuffed with dust, and I don't have the right type of vacuum cleaner. Any ideas? I have been brushing with a paintbrush. 
$12.99, goodwill of course.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Life

Last time I discussed my writing, I was moaning about how overwhelmed I felt about editing. Well, this past week I stopped whining and consulted my expert researcher Ms/Mr Google - s/he is an hermaphrodite- and discovered a nifty book called Self Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King. This book is so on fire that it impacted my writing before I even received it. How do I mean? Well, I read an excerpt of the first chapter online and realized what was wrong with my own first chapter right away. In a word -well several words- I was explaining too much and not letting the characters live. I was giving all kinds of background and history and what not. A whole lot of info that had me saying in my nephew's voice: "who cares?" I guess the avid reader in me knew the problem all along, but the writer in me resisted deleting a single word. I mean those words were agonized over and carefully chosen by committee. I was loathe to let even one of them go. But I ...

Ojo Monday

As I opened  blogger to write a post, the song ojo Monday jumped to my head. I mourned my unbacked up and crashed ibook immediately. I have so much music that I've lost. I haven't heard that song since 200something. I didn't even remember who did it which is a damn shame cos am a Fela stan. Anyway, rushed to Youtube to find it. They didn't have it, but there is a band called Ogun Afrobeat that did a pretty decent cover considering they don't even speak the language. Turned out it's called by its English name: Monday morning in Lagos: Anyway, all that to say it's Ojo Wednesday and I hope I survive. I worked out yesterday with my trainer. My arms are looking nice per him and me. Am still a bit weak though as in, I don't have much stamina for certain exercises. Anyway, time is already fast spent. I have to go for my jog and yet again I didn't edit my playlist. Why do i procrastinate so! PS. Turns out that I do have that song, must have bac...

2013 already!

I can't believe my last post was in November. Despite my good intentions, December was a wasteland in terms of my writing and life goals. I moved to my new apartment, came down with the flu or rather an influenza like illness, and have just been so blah. The cold weather is not helping either. I really cannot stand the cold, it tends to sap my energy. As always, I have a few goals for the new year. I already feel all kinds of stressed because it is already Janaury 4th and I haven't made any moves. I did do one half hearted workout the other day but it was bitter cold. I could actually feel the cold going through my hoodie, my t-shirt, my skin, my bones and grabbing my heart and lungs and squeezing them to death.  I scurried back home and vowed to buy some winter gear. Total mileage 1.6 miles. Yeah pitiful. My goals this year are simple: 1. Get with God and just delight myself in Him. Ps 37:5. I want to be serious about my walk with God this year. I promised myself last ...