Skip to main content

Omi o l'ota o. (Water, e no get enemy)

Water and I have this amazing passionate but very unreciprocated love affair.

I love it, it doesn't know that I exist.

I love it in all its forms, rain, river, lake, ocean, a tall glass of cold water.

Unfortunately, I can't swim to save my life.

All of my life, with the exception of the past few months, I've lived close to a body of water. Cambridge (Mass), Lagos, Boston, Worcester, Miami. Now am in the desert, and even though the mountains are gorgeous, it's just not cutting it for me. I guess that's why I am drawn to any form of picture or photo with water in it.

I took the following pictures during my last months in Miami using my phone and my ipod touch. I blew them up in a graphic editing program called GIMP, free of course. Hmm, maybe I should use it instead of Picasa to retouch the photos. Never thought of that. But I digress. Then I printed them at Wal-Mart. I found some truly vintage frames at the Goodwill and spray painted them black. In fact, the frames, me and the song which titles this post are all of the same vintage year.  Imagine that.






I am trying to decide on the positioning of the pictures because one of these is not like the other.
I really have to figure out how to tweak my photos.

I leave you with Fela, as I return to my book.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Life

Last time I discussed my writing, I was moaning about how overwhelmed I felt about editing. Well, this past week I stopped whining and consulted my expert researcher Ms/Mr Google - s/he is an hermaphrodite- and discovered a nifty book called Self Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King. This book is so on fire that it impacted my writing before I even received it. How do I mean? Well, I read an excerpt of the first chapter online and realized what was wrong with my own first chapter right away. In a word -well several words- I was explaining too much and not letting the characters live. I was giving all kinds of background and history and what not. A whole lot of info that had me saying in my nephew's voice: "who cares?" I guess the avid reader in me knew the problem all along, but the writer in me resisted deleting a single word. I mean those words were agonized over and carefully chosen by committee. I was loathe to let even one of them go. But I ...

2013 already!

I can't believe my last post was in November. Despite my good intentions, December was a wasteland in terms of my writing and life goals. I moved to my new apartment, came down with the flu or rather an influenza like illness, and have just been so blah. The cold weather is not helping either. I really cannot stand the cold, it tends to sap my energy. As always, I have a few goals for the new year. I already feel all kinds of stressed because it is already Janaury 4th and I haven't made any moves. I did do one half hearted workout the other day but it was bitter cold. I could actually feel the cold going through my hoodie, my t-shirt, my skin, my bones and grabbing my heart and lungs and squeezing them to death.  I scurried back home and vowed to buy some winter gear. Total mileage 1.6 miles. Yeah pitiful. My goals this year are simple: 1. Get with God and just delight myself in Him. Ps 37:5. I want to be serious about my walk with God this year. I promised myself last ...

Ojo Monday

As I opened  blogger to write a post, the song ojo Monday jumped to my head. I mourned my unbacked up and crashed ibook immediately. I have so much music that I've lost. I haven't heard that song since 200something. I didn't even remember who did it which is a damn shame cos am a Fela stan. Anyway, rushed to Youtube to find it. They didn't have it, but there is a band called Ogun Afrobeat that did a pretty decent cover considering they don't even speak the language. Turned out it's called by its English name: Monday morning in Lagos: Anyway, all that to say it's Ojo Wednesday and I hope I survive. I worked out yesterday with my trainer. My arms are looking nice per him and me. Am still a bit weak though as in, I don't have much stamina for certain exercises. Anyway, time is already fast spent. I have to go for my jog and yet again I didn't edit my playlist. Why do i procrastinate so! PS. Turns out that I do have that song, must have bac...