Skip to main content

Message Got.

I wrote this piece almost 12 years ago now after a bad breakup. I thought it was the worst breakup of my life, little did I know what was coming down the line... ahh youth.


can you imagine/i can't
i can't even begin to put it together
or comprehend how i managed to walk around
with eyes closed.
my clothes were not on me
and the people were laughing
but i could not see and was unable to hear
they were pointing at me
but i dismissed their words as mere manifestations
of envy because what we had was true
was amazing, was the best s..t i ever had
i was only right about one thing.



can you imagine/ i can't
i can't even begin to understand this
even though i am turning it inside out and outside in
it is still so unclear to me
the more i stare through this glass
the dimmer it all becomes
the earth i took for granted
is crumbling beneath my feet
i am afraid to face the world
with this distorted perception
when i look at you, did i truly see you
or was it just an image i created overlaid
over you or was it just me seeing half and not the whole
how many other friends are hiding their true intentions
behind my good sight?

i long to call upon my grandfather's god
ogun the hunter's guide
to have you surrounded, put you in his sight line
21 guns all aimed at you or maybe
you locked down chained down tight
somewhere anywhere

i quick pray to the goodness within me
2 wash these thoughts away
because i will not let you change what i am
it's evident you were in my life for a season
i just can't remember what prayer you were in answer to
so i could not let go until
i was disrespected and thrown out the exit
i get the message now
i get the message now











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Life

Last time I discussed my writing, I was moaning about how overwhelmed I felt about editing. Well, this past week I stopped whining and consulted my expert researcher Ms/Mr Google - s/he is an hermaphrodite- and discovered a nifty book called Self Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King. This book is so on fire that it impacted my writing before I even received it. How do I mean? Well, I read an excerpt of the first chapter online and realized what was wrong with my own first chapter right away. In a word -well several words- I was explaining too much and not letting the characters live. I was giving all kinds of background and history and what not. A whole lot of info that had me saying in my nephew's voice: "who cares?" I guess the avid reader in me knew the problem all along, but the writer in me resisted deleting a single word. I mean those words were agonized over and carefully chosen by committee. I was loathe to let even one of them go. But I ...

2013 already!

I can't believe my last post was in November. Despite my good intentions, December was a wasteland in terms of my writing and life goals. I moved to my new apartment, came down with the flu or rather an influenza like illness, and have just been so blah. The cold weather is not helping either. I really cannot stand the cold, it tends to sap my energy. As always, I have a few goals for the new year. I already feel all kinds of stressed because it is already Janaury 4th and I haven't made any moves. I did do one half hearted workout the other day but it was bitter cold. I could actually feel the cold going through my hoodie, my t-shirt, my skin, my bones and grabbing my heart and lungs and squeezing them to death.  I scurried back home and vowed to buy some winter gear. Total mileage 1.6 miles. Yeah pitiful. My goals this year are simple: 1. Get with God and just delight myself in Him. Ps 37:5. I want to be serious about my walk with God this year. I promised myself last ...

Ojo Monday

As I opened  blogger to write a post, the song ojo Monday jumped to my head. I mourned my unbacked up and crashed ibook immediately. I have so much music that I've lost. I haven't heard that song since 200something. I didn't even remember who did it which is a damn shame cos am a Fela stan. Anyway, rushed to Youtube to find it. They didn't have it, but there is a band called Ogun Afrobeat that did a pretty decent cover considering they don't even speak the language. Turned out it's called by its English name: Monday morning in Lagos: Anyway, all that to say it's Ojo Wednesday and I hope I survive. I worked out yesterday with my trainer. My arms are looking nice per him and me. Am still a bit weak though as in, I don't have much stamina for certain exercises. Anyway, time is already fast spent. I have to go for my jog and yet again I didn't edit my playlist. Why do i procrastinate so! PS. Turns out that I do have that song, must have bac...