Skip to main content

As History Repeats Itself

Some Plans:Thwarted


A marriage: never even celebrated
Some children : left with no one to train them
Some husbands : now embraceless
Some wives : left with no one to cherish them

My Lord, how could this be?
What happened?
What could have went wrong?

Some odabos : never turned to e ka abo
Some fights : no chance to be resolved
Long hoped for accomplishment : never to be enjoyed

I cannot imagine how it must have been
did they cry? did they scream?
call out their God's name?

A planned rest : now permanent
Please pray it's peaceful
So many plans : O Lord!

We need Your comfort
Please heal us and dry our tears
Replace all we lost with You

112 beginnings : brought to too quick an end
aobeo 10/29/05


I wrote that in 2005 for the Bellview air crash victims. Then we had another one, and now the doomed Dana Air flight on Sunday, the worst yet.  When shall we demand accountability from all the airline owners? When shall a human life be valued in Nigeria, and not sacrificed for a bribe there, a wink here as established regulations are willfully ignored? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Life

Last time I discussed my writing, I was moaning about how overwhelmed I felt about editing. Well, this past week I stopped whining and consulted my expert researcher Ms/Mr Google - s/he is an hermaphrodite- and discovered a nifty book called Self Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King. This book is so on fire that it impacted my writing before I even received it. How do I mean? Well, I read an excerpt of the first chapter online and realized what was wrong with my own first chapter right away. In a word -well several words- I was explaining too much and not letting the characters live. I was giving all kinds of background and history and what not. A whole lot of info that had me saying in my nephew's voice: "who cares?" I guess the avid reader in me knew the problem all along, but the writer in me resisted deleting a single word. I mean those words were agonized over and carefully chosen by committee. I was loathe to let even one of them go. But I ...

2013 already!

I can't believe my last post was in November. Despite my good intentions, December was a wasteland in terms of my writing and life goals. I moved to my new apartment, came down with the flu or rather an influenza like illness, and have just been so blah. The cold weather is not helping either. I really cannot stand the cold, it tends to sap my energy. As always, I have a few goals for the new year. I already feel all kinds of stressed because it is already Janaury 4th and I haven't made any moves. I did do one half hearted workout the other day but it was bitter cold. I could actually feel the cold going through my hoodie, my t-shirt, my skin, my bones and grabbing my heart and lungs and squeezing them to death.  I scurried back home and vowed to buy some winter gear. Total mileage 1.6 miles. Yeah pitiful. My goals this year are simple: 1. Get with God and just delight myself in Him. Ps 37:5. I want to be serious about my walk with God this year. I promised myself last ...

Ojo Monday

As I opened  blogger to write a post, the song ojo Monday jumped to my head. I mourned my unbacked up and crashed ibook immediately. I have so much music that I've lost. I haven't heard that song since 200something. I didn't even remember who did it which is a damn shame cos am a Fela stan. Anyway, rushed to Youtube to find it. They didn't have it, but there is a band called Ogun Afrobeat that did a pretty decent cover considering they don't even speak the language. Turned out it's called by its English name: Monday morning in Lagos: Anyway, all that to say it's Ojo Wednesday and I hope I survive. I worked out yesterday with my trainer. My arms are looking nice per him and me. Am still a bit weak though as in, I don't have much stamina for certain exercises. Anyway, time is already fast spent. I have to go for my jog and yet again I didn't edit my playlist. Why do i procrastinate so! PS. Turns out that I do have that song, must have bac...